Winter means white snow that looks very beautiful but can also create problems. Many people suffer plumbing-related problems during this season. The plumbing system in your house is essential for supplying clean water and removing dirty water away. If you find any problems regarding frozen things, you should contact an emergency plumber in Orange country during that time. If you can check regularly, winter plumbing problems are not going to bother you. The most common problems winter plumbing problems are:
- Frozen pipes
- Water heater problems
- Drain damage and Septic Tank leaks
- Floods in the basement due to melted snow
- Frozen well -pump and sump pump problems
Regarding problems and their solutions
1. Frozen pipes
It is a big problem during this season. Pipes can freeze either outdoors or indoors. When temperatures decrease, pipes of your home, wall, and basements can freeze. The outside wall is so much affected. you know that when water changes to ice it expands. As a result, it can damage your pipes, causing leakage or bursting of pipes. Low water pressure can trouble you so check the pipes.
To prevent this
- Always check the insulation on your pipes before winter comes
- Faucets are slightly opened during the winter so the water cannot freeze.
- You should be sure that your pipe system has an operational valve to reduce this pressure.
- You should contact any professional company to solve this because a proper repair service is needed.
2. Water heater problems
Water heaters can affect any time but basically, it occurs in winter. At this time hot water is essential for bathing, cooking, etc. A water heater can go on for nearly 10 years. If you notice that water is not heated properly check that. The thermostat may not be working in the heater. In that case, you need to hire emergency plumbers in Orange county.
- Keep checking the pressure relief valve to ensure its proper function.
- You should replace the heaters if it’s age more than ten years old or contact plumbers to fix them as soon as possible.
- Insulate your heaters outside or inside the pipe to prevent water freezing.
- Check the thermostat’s limits of the heater.
3. Drain damage and Septic tank leaks
Kitchen drains are often damaged by garbage, so you should check this. In winter it causes a problem.
- Keep the drains clean with hot water. you can avoid any type of thick fluids pouring into the drains.
- Outdoor drains are also frozen so they create damage. As a result, drains are slowing to move water
- You can use metal drains because they can tolerate freezing temperatures better than plastic drains. They can carry the weight of ice so they can’t break.
- Remove any type of debris, and leaves from the drain to avoid clogs.
- When snowfall occurs put a cover on drains as soon as possible
- You can use hot water with salt to melt ice.
- And make sure all the drains are not clogged by any type of garbage so water can easily drain when the snow is melting
The pipe that runs from your house to the septic tank can freeze when the temperature decreases. It can cause leaks in tanks and spread unpleasant odors. Before winter check the area where your septic tank sits for soil erosion. You can fill this area with soil
- Don’t apply direct heat. If you are in trouble solving this contact local plumbers immediately.
4. Floods in the Basement
When temperature increases after a long time, it causes the melting of ice. As a result large flows of melting snow cause flooding in the basement. If the drainage system is poor it can cause basement flooding
- Clean garbage on your drainage system to ensure water moves safely.
- Keep maintain your sump pump regularly
- You can be Installing a backup sump pump
- During snow falling time you should clear snow from your foundation.
- Dry the basement after the flood because this is a favorable place for mold to grow.
- You can use a commercial fan to remove moisture from the basement. Besides, you should check the presence of any leakage or cracks
5. Frozen well -pump and sump pump problems
Many people are used to supplying water indoors. In winter, well pumps can freeze. deep well pumps are not freezing but jet well pumps can freeze.
- You can use an insulator on all lines to prevent making ice.
- Jet well pump freezes cause cracks in the cast iron body due to expansion. There is one way to solve this that is to replace it.
Even if it is in the basement, you should maintain the temperature in the room to prevent making ice. Also, don’t forget to remove the dirt from your roof because it can create an issue when the ice melts.
As winter comes every year, you may face these problems yearly. Above mentioned problems can occur in anyone’s house so beware of this. It can lead you to hire an emergency plumber in Orange county.So don’t panic, solve the problem wisely. The problems such as frozen pipes, water heater problems, drain damage, sump damage, low water pressure and basement floods all can be solved by insulating, regular maintenance, removing all dirt, and cleaning all clogs.
You should clean all pipes once a year. It’s also important to release the water pressure to prevent frozen pipes. If you stay in an area where freezing has occurred then you prepare yourself to solve the problems. If you need, you can call professional plumbers, they help you with these problems. They fix them by applying a heat gun. So these are all things that you can do before the coming winter season.